On April 10, 1952, five lettered and former members of Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church, 1918 Division Street, organized Mount Bethel Missionary Baptist Church. To this five, twenty-five members from Mount Carmel Missionary Baptist Church, 807 North Garrison were joined and Mount Bethel Missionary Baptist Church was officially founded. Minister A.M. Jones assumed the Pastorate.
On May 17, 1953, the church moved to 2722 Thomas Street. The condition of the building caused a move from this site to 2838 Thomas. The membership grew to seventy-five members. Minister A.M. Jones resigned as Pastor in 1954.
Minister Henry Williams accepted the Pastorate on November 15, 1954 and the membership reflected steady growth. This growth forced a move to 629 North Vandeventer and later to 5514 Easton Avenue. During this time, various groups and auxiliaries were added to the church.
As the Lord added to the church, it was quickly realized that more space was needed and property at 1524-26 Belt Avenue was purchased. After this purchase, the membership's growth, and the need to be a 'Shining Beacon' in the community, plans were begun to build a new edifice for worship. On October 22, 1957, incorporation papers were drawn up and on July 18, 1959, St. Louis Builders, Inc., was given the contract to build. In March, 1960, Pastor Williams and the 250 members marched into the new edifice. A month long celebration followed.
Pastor Williams' Pastorate ended in September, 1967 and Minister R. James Glasco was called to lead the flock. Many needs were met and more visions were presented. A Christian Education Program was envisioned, along with a place to conduct these programs. The 685 members were in need of space for the expansion of more services, with an eye on the youth in the church, and the community at large, as well.
It was decided that this building program would be implemented in two phases. The first phase (offices, classrooms, a kitchen, and a multi-purpose assembly area on the lower level) was completed in December, 1985. The second phase is part of the church's continued visionary program.
Before Pastor Glasco's demise, February, 1986, more property was purchased, a Second Deed of Trust was paid in full, and our new Educational Wing was blessed and dedicated to "God for His Glory".
June, 1986 Minister Willie Harris assumed the Pastorate. During his term as pastor, a debt liquidation fund was established, more property was aquired, and the Hot Lunch, food baskets and clothing ministries became components of our Mission Outreach Ministry. Minister Harris' pastorate ended after four years and Minister Steve Wooten was called to serve.
September, 1991, marked the beginning of a new leadership vision. Since 1991, a New Member's Class has been created, A Mass Choir, organized, several ministries instituted: Women's Ministry; Overcomers' Ministry; Deacons' and Ministers's Wives Ministry; Youth Ministry and a Minister in Charge. The Audio-Visual Ministry (Sister Margaret Griffin and Brother Hamp Williams instituted this for the Sick and Shut In) is flourishing into an advanced technological work of art.
Pastor Wooten's tenure has experienced physical and spiritual growth. A 29 passenger van and a 15 passenger van were purchased; additional musical instruments were purchased; a revised monthly food and clothing distribution program is in operation, a fellowship meal is provided each Wednesday evening, more parking lot space has been acquired and more is being sought. A newly renovated, ultra-modern kitchen was finished, round tables and different chairs grace the dining/assembly area on the lower level. The Educational Wing was officially named the R. James Glasco Building. To help meet the needs more trustees, deacons, and deacons-in-training and ordained ministers have been added.
God is Truly Blessing us and We are Always Careful to Give Him All The Glory, The Honor, The Praise due His Holy and Matchless Name.